OHA (ORA) SOUP
This soup is one of the South east most cherished soup. It is also a traditional meal which is almost the same procedure with bitterleaf soup; but people cook it with oha leaves. And guess what it is also rich and nutritious. Below is a step by step procedure of how to cook ora(oha) soup.
INGREDIENTS FOR ORA (OHA) SOUP
- Oha leaves or Utazi (Utazi is optional)
- Palm fruit boiled with oil juice washed and squeezed out or Red oil (optional) Note:-To get the taste of oha soup is advised you use palm fruit and extract the oil juice out.
- Assorted beef, shaki (cow tripe)e.t.c
- Stockfish and Dry fish
- Pepper, Crayfish and Salt
- Stock cubes
- Ogiri Igbo
PREPARATION FOR OHA SOUP
- Cook the cow tripe allow it to boil for about 15-20 minutes add beef with the stock cubes the cook for 20-25 minute.
- Wash and cut the oha leaves with your hands (fingers) into tiny pieces
Note:-Using your hands (fingers) to cut the ora leave prevents the vegetable from getting darker in colour
- Add pepper, ground crayfish and cook for some minutes (5mins)
- Boil the cocoyam till is soft. Peel the back and use blender or mortar and pestle to pound to a smooth paste
- Add the blended cocoyam paste (small lumps) into the pot
- Once the cocoyam lumps dissolves and thickens the soup the you are good to go.
Note:-* You can add more water if you feel that the soup is too thick
- Add the ora leave and leave it to cook for about 5 minutes. At this moment don’t cover the pot
- Add salt to taste, stir and the soup is ready!!
Enjoy your soup with any swallow of your choice