INGREDIENTS FOR YAM PORRIDGE
- Dry fish
- Spinach (alefo) or ugwu
- 4 big red pepper (tatashi)
- Fresh pepper
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic (optional)
- Small fresh ginger
- Palm oil
PREPARATION FOR YAM PORRIDGE
- Peel and dice yam to the size of your choice wash and keep in water. Wash vegetable of your choice with salt and cut it. Wash smoked dry fish with salt and hot water. Wash tomatoes, pepper, tattasai and onions and blend. Peel and pound small fresh ginger and 3 garlic to give it a mild flavor Chop some onions too and keep everything aside.
PROCEDURE FOR YAM PORRIDGE
- Put your pot on fire, pour palm oil not too much, allow to heat small but don’t bleach it.
- Then add chopped onions, stir for awhile and add your smoked dry fish with a pinch of salt, stir for 2 minutes and add blended tomatoes,pepper,tattasai and onions in it.
- Add the grounded ginger and garlic too, Allow to fry until water is dried then you add water that can cook your yam and still have some juice in it.
- Add crayfish, maggi, and salt to taste. Please don’t put too much salt and maggi, so that it won’t be salty. Mix and allow to boil then you pour the yam, cover it and allow to cook. What I used in this yam porridge was spinach(alewo, green) after cutting it, I blanched it. (Pour hot water and salt on it, rinse and squeeze very well. But you can also use it direct without blanching it. If am using ugwu for my yam porridge, I don’t blanch it.
- When yam is well cooked and tender, you mixed it very well to make the juice thick then add your vegetable, cover for a minute and that’s all it’s ready to eat.
That’s how I made mine!